Tournament time! Cinderella teams! All-Time Legends! Fast Breaks! Slam dunks! Buzzer beaters! In the words of Dick Vitale, “Are you serious?”
As with each team starting out in the tournament with the hopes of raising the trophy and cutting down the nets at the end, you as an advisor are on a constant journey toward your pinnacle as well. You are always striving for consistency, building momentum and focusing you and your staff on doing your best.
Throughout the 60’s and 70’s, one of the game’s all-time legends, John Wooden, guided and coached the UCLA Bruins. They were the most dominant team in sports winning 10 NCAA Men’s Division 1 Basketball titles. What can you learn from Coach Wooden and apply to your business?
Coach Wooden was a teacher first then a coach. His teams played with consistency and passion while executing the fundamentals he taught about life and basketball. In the spirit of ” Tournament Time”, I present to you a collection of “Sweet 16” inspiring quotes from Coach Wooden.
16) “Be prepared and be honest.”
15) “It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.”
14) “Don’t give up on your dreams or your dreams will give up on you.”
13) “Just do the best you can. No one can do more than that.”
12) “Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.”
11) “Discipline yourself and others won’t need to.”
10) “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
9) ” Never mistake activity for achievement.”
8) ” Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”
7) ” It isn’t what you do, but how you do it.”
6) “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything. I’m positive that a doer makes mistakes.”
5) ” If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
4) “If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier.”
3) ” Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.”
2) ” You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.”
1) ” Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
There you have it,16 life principles that also happen to work for basketball. Take a moment and focus on a few of these words of wisdom that you can make the cornerstone of your continued success!
Mike Sciortino has more than 30 years experience in the investment management business. Mike speaks at Conferences and writes often about how advisors can differentiate themselves, grow their practice, and improve their lives through time-tested processes. See all of Mike’s stories for CMG Advisor Central. Connect with Mike on LinkedIn.