If you are like most successful advisors, one of the aspects of our business that you enjoy is helping people. This provides a lot of satisfaction for you.
Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, had an interesting perspective on this. He said
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do work you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”
So let me ask, what do you want people to think of when they hear your name?
How about, you are the person that….
- Always first listens intently,
- Always shows us proven and practical well researched ideas,
- Provides amazing guidance and enthusiastic encouragement as we move toward our goals,
- Provides simple solutions,
- Helped us make great memories with our family and friends,
- Uses simple, concrete examples to show us how we could utilize simple steps to become more successful,
- Is always focused on our needs,
- Showed us where we were, how we were messing up and what we had to do differently,
- Focuses not on what we may have lost but on what we have to gain,
- Finds a way to make good out of bad,
- Always gives us his best effort and a little more!
This is positioning. The good news is that you can craft it by the way you present yourself and conduct your business. Take your pick from the list above then craft your firm’s message around it.
You are dealing daily with clients and prospects with problems that are disrupting their lives. Build your business around the right message that projects your strengths and passion and how you can utilize that to help them.
Over the years I’ve observed that the most successful advisors have learned that you’ve got to put yourself behind your words. They are clear on what they want to be known for. They are confident of this because they have mastered the art of listening to what their clients want and need. Harvey Mackay said,
“You can win more friends with your ears than with your mouth.” People who feel like they’re being listened to feel accepted and appreciated. They feel like they’re being taken seriously and what they say really matters.
Isn’t this how we want all our clients to feel? Sure it is. Be known as the difference maker in your client’s lives. It is both satisfying and tremendously fulfilling!
Mike Sciortino has more than 30 years experience in the investment management business. Mike speaks at Conferences and writes often about how advisors can differentiate themselves, grow their practice, and improve their lives through time-tested processes. See all of Mike’s stories for CMG Advisor Central. Connect with Mike on LinkedIn.